What’s going on with MooTools

Written By Tom Occhino, on Tuesday, September 23rd 2008, 5:44am

A very brief article to explain what’s happening in the world of MooTools, and provide users with some links so they can get further information if they feel they need it.

So, what the heck is going on

Recently, a few users have been concerned that newcomers to MooTools might not easily be able to find their way around the MooTools community. As one of the developers, I kind of disagree, but there is one thing I think we all agree on; It probably wouldn’t hurt for us to communicate with everyone a little better. ;)

Along with the 1.2 release, we’ve changed up the site and moved away from SVN development. We’ve also removed Trac and the official forum in exchange for GitHub, Lighthouse, Google Groups, and other MooTools user maintained forum solutions. There is a ton of reasoning behind all the outsourcing and changes (including the simpler site, removal of the forums, switch to git development, etc) and if you like, you can read more about them…

Is anyone actually writing any code?

Currently, we are working on getting the 1.2.1 release out as soon as possible. It focuses on bug fixes to some of the most important core components and documentation errata, (including a hack-less Class.js with returned Safari 2 support, sorry about that by the way!) Expect this release within the next few weeks.

Post 1.2.1, we will be simultaneously working on 1.2.x and 1.3. Any 1.2.x releases after 1.2.1 will focus on ‘core’ and ‘more’ bug fixes and maybe a few minor ‘more’ enhancements. As for 1.3, I don’t want to promise to much yet because we aren’t yet sure what will make it in, but just know that we have some really exciting things in store for this release! :D

I wish there was a book about MooTools

There is! Check out Aaron’s new book, MooTools Essentials. More information is available over at his MooTorial and here are some direct links to both the PDF and the Paper Back.

I bought the book early and I think it’s a really excellent resource for anyone who wants to learn the ins and outs of MooTools, and how to get the most out of it. PS: pages 94-95 are some of my favorites ;).

Conclusion? Sure, why not…

I encourage everyone to participate with and contribute to the community as much as possible. I really like the Google Group and think the wiki on GitHub has a lot of potential to be a real nice tool for users. Also check out and contribute to the unofficial forum. (Thanks for all your hard work over there guys). Here are some links:

I must have missed something…

If you feel you need more information on something, or I wasn’t clear enough on something else, let me know in the comments, otherwise, please let me get back to work! (on both MooTools, and my real job. Yes, believe it or not, the developers actually need to have real jobs too!)

ciao for now…

11 Responses to “What’s going on with MooTools”

1. daKmoR says:

This is definitely one of the most informative post for new users. Thx Tom Occhino for actually writing this all together an posting it on the blog (especially the latter thing is great)

2. Linas says:

thanks a lot for this post, hope we ll soon have 1.2.1

3. nfq says:

Hey Tom,

Thanks for keeping us up-to-date. Excellent post and may I say how I love the new Blog design, fitting in with the rest of the site!

Cheers, Nathan

4. Ben Midget says:

Thanks so much for your post. Mootools has really opened my eyes to giving my clients a much better web experience all while keeping things simple, standards compliant, and 100 percent flash-free (I really, really hate flash).

I always look forward to the work you do and wish I had the know-how to really contribute to the Mootools project with some javascript of my own. I’m getting much better, but I’m just not there yet.

5. Matthias says:

Great to hear there’re things going in the mootools dev world. People like to read things like these. :)

6. TomWA007 says:

It is great to see an update in the blog! I had concerns that the project might be fading out and had recently made the decision that mootools would be the js library base for all our web projects going forward.

7. TheUiGuy says:

Thanks for the update! We are still working on porting some modules from 1.11 to 1.2 at work, and thankfully the code redesign done in this transition was done in such a way that this is fairly easy to move to. Am I safe to assume that 1.11 to 1.2 was one of the larger code redesigns and thats not the general approach moving forward? Either way this toolkit is infinitely valuable and worth and transition pain.

8. Chris G says:

thanks for the post mate, I didnt know the old skool style mooforum.net existed. We all missed the forum (it looked better than google groups too).

PS Love the new set/get methods in 1.2, hope you guys keep it in the next versions.

9. Fabio M. Costa says:

Nice! you guys should really post more, this makes us, users of mootools, happy to know you guys are working hard to give us always the best. If you do a lot and don’t tell people what you are doing it’s almost like you did nothing. Thanks!

10. Christophe says:

Thank you Tom for dropping some lines on the blog. I miss some new instructive articles about mootools hacks such as “Element storage” or “MooTools Foundations: Natives and Elements”. Hope there will be more soon as it is important to understand the Mootools philosophy through articles and examples. Keep the good work !

11. Matt says:

Agreed… You guys should really post more often. It seems that jQuery gets most of the press time in the blogs I read, and I’m left defending my reasons for sticking with mootools. I love the framework, it would just be nice to see more apparent progress at times. Thanks for all your hard work!